Wednesday, October 10, 2007

where have all the fluffy pets gone?

This past week I spent some time looking around a couple of pet shops. I have a friend who has been looking for a kitten and so the thought of a new animal had gripped my thoughts and where do you go when that happens – other than to a pet shop?

Well, I had not been into pet shops for quite some time and they were not really what memory had served them to be. I had this picturesque cuteness running through my mind but in truth the shops were not really filled with that idyllic sort of ‘cuteness’. Now I may be a bit preferential but when I think of pets the first thing that springs to mind is a cute fluffy – dare I say loveable – animal. Most of the animals however were neither cute, nor fluffy...arguably loveable though.

Expecting cute kittens, fluffy rabbits, and adorable puppies…I walked into pet shops only to be met by snakes, a lizard, and a lot of fish. Now personally I really like fish as pets, but when combined with snakes and lizards – who too can be loveable – I found myself glad to be going home to two cuddly, soft, furry, beautiful cats!