Monday, May 4, 2009

Getting to know your cat

I was never a “cat person” until I was forced to be. My neighbors decided they were immigrating to Dubai and needed homes for their cat and her eight kittens. The kittens found homes almost immediately, but for some reason no one wanted the mother. She was still very young: three years is not at all old for a cat. Now, I’m terribly allergic to cats. In fact, I have to take an antihistamine whenever I’m around them. One day, as I was walking down the street, my neighbors came up to me and told me they’d found homes for all their pets except this one cat. They said that they’d be forced to put her down unless I took her, because no one else wanted her. In essence, they were putting the life of the little guy in my hands! I decided I’d take her, albeit that I was allergic. I have to say it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. She is such fun to be around, always racing around the house, and chasing almost anything that moves. And on really cold nights, she snuggles up close to me, and purrs like a gentle tractor.