Loud firework bangs and flashes in the sky can be particularly terrifying to animals. In order to keep your pet safe during firework displays, follow these tips:
- If your pet is particularly sensitive to loud noises, ask your veterinary surgeon for advice on medication. There are some homeopathic remedies available to relieve stress.
- Provide a litter tray for cats if they are used to having garden access.
- Remember to secure doors and windows.
- If you are having a firework display, warn neighbours in advance so they can take precautions. Ideally go to your local community display.
- Ensure your pets' identification is current so if they do get away local authorities are better able to help return them to you.
- You pet may find toys and treats comforting and distracting so ensure you have a supply.
- Put your pet inside and draw the curtains, and put the TV or radio on to drown out noise.
- Never let off fireworks near any animal!