Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Animal Help: what you didn't know about chocolate and your pet

Before we have to go looking for animal help there are certain things that are essential knowledge that could help us to keep our pets safe and protected from unnecessary dangers. One of these is the foods we feed our cats and dogs. I am sure that you have heard that is not a good thing for an animal to be fed chocolate but have you ever wondered why that is? Well, chocolate contains a stimulant called theobromine this stimulant works on and affects the cardiovascular system while acting as a diuretic when it is ingested. So when we eat chocolate we get a rush of energy that stems from more than just the sugar in the chocolate because our hearts and are working harder and thus we feel more energized. Our bodies can handle a certain amount of chocolate but animal’s bodies are often smaller and also less tolerable to such cardiac stimulants. Because chocolate increases the heart rate if an animal eats chocolate they can become very energetic and if they then use this energy and run around or play they can become hyperactive, become unusually thirsty and experience an irregular or very rapid heart rate. Prevention is better than cure and avoiding the need for animal help is the best way to assure to pet’s health and safety.